What are absorbable sutures?
Absorbable sutures (stitches) are used to close cuts or wounds. These sutures are absorbed by your body, or fall off on their own within days or weeks. They do not need to be removed.
How can I care for my wound and absorbable sutures?
- Protect your wound from further injury. Wear protective clothing over your wound, and protect it from sunlight. Do not place pressure on your wound. This could reopen your wound and increase your risk for an infection.
- Elevate your wound. Keep your wound above the level of your heart as often as you can. This will help decrease swelling and pain. Prop your wounded area on pillows or blankets, if possible, to keep it elevated comfortably.
- Wash and bandage your wound. Carefully wash the wound with soap and water. Gently dry the area and put on new, clean bandages as directed. Change your bandages when they get wet or dirty.
- Take showers instead of baths. Wait 12 to 24 hours after you receive your sutures before you take a shower. Do not take a bath or swim.
When should I contact my healthcare provider?
- You have signs of an infection, such as increased redness, pain, swelling, or pus.
- You have a fever.
- Your sutures do not absorb when your healthcare provider says they should.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
When should I seek immediate care?
- Your wound comes apart.
- You have red streaks around your wound.
- You have swollen or painful lymph nodes.
- Blood soaks through your bandage.
You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2014 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
Learn more about Absorbable Suture Care